Monday, May 24, 2010

Ten Things I Loved About Today


“Then we sit on this curb right outside, and I’ll count all the blue cars and he counts all the red ones, and whoever gets the most wins. I like that curb. That might sound boring but I think the boring stuff is the stuff I remember the most.”

~ Russell reflecting on memories with his father (8-year-old boy in the movie Up)

This quote is just one of the many reasons why I love the movie, Up. One of the challenges for us as a busy family is not losing sight of the simple things. Racing through life, it’s the day-to-day moments that can get so easily sabotaged by a false sense of urgency and pure mindlessness. I often wonder, thanks to drive-thru’s and play lands, who actually sits on the curb with their ice cream anymore. Russell reminds me what I know has to be true: Life takes place in these daily moments. Not only do these moments define the quality of my life, but they’re probably what my kids will remember most about growing up in our home.

Today was a day that I found myself cherishing the simple things and so I dedicate the following list to Russell:

Ten things I loved about today....

1. Being the last member of my house to get out of bed

2. The time alone with Jocelyn... The chance for her to finish her sentences without interruption... Holding her little hand in the movie theater...

3. Proudly watching Jonas as he counted the lady bugs in his book

4. Cleaning out the kitchen pantry cupboard – I think I felt at least a pound lighter with each thing that I tossed in the trash

5. Reading a sweet note written by Jillian to Jocelyn. There’s nothing more fabulous than those special moments where my kids are kind to each other.

6. Playing a makeshift game of Pictionary with my kids in the backyard, followed up with a mean game of hangman. I relished the opportunity to watch my kids erupt with deep delight when they guessed a correct letter.

7. Stealing a kiss from my husband in the kitchen while I made dinner

8. Laughing at how sick dinner tasted tonight! So much for trying to use up some of the old food! I guess it’s not always a good thing when practicality wins out.

9. Tucking the kids in bed, sighing a sigh of relief, and enjoying a nice, hot shower

10. A quiet house, soothing music, and letting my mind wander while I painted my nails

James 1:17 “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights”

No comments:

Post a Comment