Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Life is a Projective Test

All of life is a projective test for my son which reveals the true essence of what is in his heart: cars, bugs, and creatures that growl. His propensity for identifying all of the above in the world around him was made all the more impressive yesterday when I served him his juice in a hand-me-down pink sippy cup adorned with a picture of Cinderella. In spite of the overwhelmingly feminine theme of the cup, much to my surprise, he pointed to it and began to growl. Upon closer inspection, who would have guessed that the scalloping flow of the princess’s dress actually does look like a crocodile mouth and teeth? Even I could see it (with a little assistance from my husband).
Since my son’s arrival into our lives nearly two years ago, I have often been amazed to discover that I live a life surrounded by cars and bugs, of which, before him, I had little to no awareness. The other day, we took a short trip to K-mart so that I could pick up an anniversary card (my husband and I recently celebrated 13 years… I’m kind of uneasy with the idea that my marriage has become a teenager. I am hoping it doesn’t start acting out!) We couldn’t take two steps in any direction without my son yelling, “Car-car, car-car, car-car!” From piƱatas to graduation gifts to a miniscule image of a car parked on the street behind a picture of a pop-up awning on a 5-inch label 10 feet away… We were surrounded by cars. Being with Jonas on a five-minute trip into the store was kind of like when you break up with your boyfriend in high school and then you discover just how many people drive his same car or one quite like it. Everywhere we went, we were barraged with images of cars.
Amazed with Jonas’ visual acuity when it comes to cars and other slimy creatures, my afternoon with my son got me thinking. What would it be like to have eyes that were so acutely attuned to see God’s blessings? Prior to Jonas, I lived amongst numerous motorcycles and images of creatures that growl, and yet I did not realize it. I began to wonder, how many countless gifts from God do I fail to recognize though they surround me in abundance? For Jonas, even common everyday objects reveal resemblances to crocodiles because his mind is so fixed on these things. Could I, too, begin to see even the tinier, less perceptible traces of God’s grace that surround me each day? I wonder…

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I love those moments as a parent. The moments that are crafty enough to make you ponder The Lord. Jonas sees only cars, big teeth, dirt, and grime because he knows love. He brings your heart to life and shares it with all who meet him. Children are notorious for somehow understanding that they have received freely and must give freely. He takes what you have given him and shares it without even being aware. The real question is what do you see? What do you know? Are you childlike enough that your very being gets just as excited as Jonas when he spots a car, while you witness the waves crash upon the shore, or when the bursting sun rises and pure light shoots through your window in the morning? You should because a rising sun is something that you can never produce. I have noticed that as a mother, I am so completely focused on teaching my children the ways of the world that I forget at times to humble myself and learn from them. I know that God is not concerned about what kind of handbag we are holding, if our hair is perfectly done up, or if our homes are spick and span. His concern is how we dress our souls every morning. Do we freely share our love with the disgustingly smelly schizophrenic standing next to us in line at the store while we are staring at the gum behind his ear? Jonas does; and that is what makes him so amazing.
    “Amen, I say to you, whoever does not accept the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it.” –Lk 18, 17

    ReplyDelete