Monday, August 17, 2009

Worse Than a Root Canal?


Settling in to the dentist's chair, Dr. Manese pulled the short cord around the back of my neck and clipped it to the other side of the ever-familiar blue paper bib. She instructed me to relax into my seat. It slowly reclined. Once in place, the looming over-head light quickly located my face. Following a few moments of oral inspection, Dr. Manese and her gloved hands presented the large glistening needle. The procedure would soon begin. I had arrived at the place where fear often reigns supreme and yet it became for me the place where peace settled over me like a warm, heavy blanket. (For those of you who are wondering, it was not a substance-induced state.) The thought that nestled cozy alongside me in my chair was, "I'm not in charge and there is nothing I have to do right now." I was firmly planted in this chair and no number of screaming children, appointments, dirty laundry, email or hungry babies could rouse me from my place. As she began the procedure, I felt coddled by the drill as it hummed in my ear, "None of what is going on right now is up to you. All you must do, my sweet dear, is sit, close your eyes, and rest."

No, I am not crazy. Just really tired and I guess that pain is all relative. Sometimes, the discomfort of busyness and constant responsibility feels even worse than a root canal!

No comments:

Post a Comment