Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Ego Boost



I hate to brag, but as it turns out I am super slick with talent when it comes to cleaning the bathroom. Some of my talents are especially pronounced when it comes to cleaning the toilet. First off, I know how to swirl the brush around the bottom of the toilet to get it sparkling even in the hole. I also clearly rock at scrubbing the water line and, if you can believe this, I know how to wipe around the rim and then to fold my disposable disinfecting wipe in half to get maximum usage without ever touching the yucky side!! It’s a special skill that I have considered posting on YouTube to provide a visual on this delicately choreographed move. It may necessitate a “Do not try this at home” warning though as it definitely is one that you don’t want to flub up. Beyond the toilet, I also have a number of other proficiencies including spreading out a cleaning rag to obtain maximum coverage. It requires fewer swipes AND results in fewer missed areas meanwhile bringing a sparkling shine to those larger surfaces. If all of this were not enough (bear with me), I have this tricky way of incorporating specialized dexterity to the application of pressure which effectively removes difficult stains, AND I know how to strategically order my cleaning efforts which, when combined with my sharp-shooting precision with Windex , makes for mad skilz! I can hear the Randy Jackson of American Domestic Idol shouting now, “You’ve got mad talent, Dawg!”
Now, how do I know this, you may ask? Great question! It all came by way of comparison, when I recently decided to teach my 5-year-old how to clean the bathroom. As I watched her shaky little hand grasping a wadded up rag haphazardly “cleaning” spots here and there, I realized just how far my skills have evolved in the last 36 years.
Together, as my daughter and I walked through the apparent intricacies of cleaning, not only did I get an ego boost (I did have that “showing off” feeling at times), but I was startled by her struggles. I was reminded in very concrete terms of what it is like to be five years old. As my mind wandered back to a variety of recent frustrations as I challenged her to hurry, or to pick up, or to help with her little brother, I felt bad. My adventures in the bathroom reminded me just how important it is to temper my expectations of my kids with a realistic picture of what it is like to be their age. And so I am left with this useful image. As I encourage her in her growth and participation in family life, I also need to remember what she looks like when she cleans the bathroom.

1 comment: